Remembering World War I
Thank you for your feedback
Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article.Join Britannica's Publishing Partner Program and our community of experts to gain a global audience for your work!
Weapons of warMichael Ray
Chronology of World War I
- 23. Austria-Hungary sends Serbian government 48-hour ultimatum.
- 25. Austria not satisfied with reply to ultimatum by Serbia.
- 28. Austria-Hungary declares war on Serbia.
- 29. Russia begins mobilization. Austria bombards Belgrade, Serbia.
- 31. Germany sends ultimatum to Russia to cease mobilization. France receives note from Germany demanding that it remain neutral in war.
- 1. Germany declares war on Russia. France mobilizes.
- 4. Britain demands Germany respect Belgian neutrality. Germany declares war on Belgium, invades Belgium, bombards Liège fortress. Britain declares war on Germany.
- 5. Russians invade East Prussia. British destroyer sinks German minelayer K?nigin Luise.
- 6. Austria declares war on Russia. British vessel Amphion sunk.
- 7. Germans take Liège, Belgium. Main Russian forces enter East Prussia.
- 8. Montenegro declares war on Austria.
- 9. France declares war on Austria. Austria invades Russian Poland.
- 12. War declared by Britain on Austria and by Montenegro on Germany. Austria takes Shabatz, Serbia, on drive south into Serbia.
- 15. Japanese ultimatum to Germany to remove vessels from Japanese waters and return Jiaozhou territory to China.
- 18. Serbs victorious over Bosnian troops in Jadar River battle. France takes Saarburg, on Saar River, driving into Lorraine.
- 19. Belgian army retires to Antwerp. Germans take Leuven, Belgium.
- 20. Germans occupy Brussels. Russians capture Gumbinnen, East Prussia.
- 21. French are defeated and retire from Alsace-Lorraine.
- 22. French are defeated at Battle of Charleroi. Belgians retreat to Sambre River.
- 26. French retreat south of Le Cateau. Battle of Tannenberg, East Prussia, begins.
- 31. Russia is defeated at Tannenberg and begins evacuating East Prussia.
- 1. Germans take Soissons, France, as French retreat to Aisne River; Russians and Austrians begin battle for Lemberg, Galicia.
- 3. French government moves from Paris to Bordeaux. British retreat to Marne River. Russians take Lemberg.
- 6. Allies in France cease retreat and begin First Battle of the Marne. Austrians and Russians battle at Rawa Ruska, Galicia. Serbs invade southern Austria and capture Semlin.
- 8. Battle of Masurian Lakes, East Prussia, begins.
- 10. Germans retreat north to Soissons as First Battle of the Marne ends. Germans entrench on Aisne River. Russians defeat Austrians at Rawa Ruska, driving them back to San River and Przemy?l.
- 13. Battle of Aisne River begins.
- 15. Germans defeat Russians in Masurian Lakes battle. Russians retreat to Niemen River. Czernowitz, Galicia, falls to Russians in drive to capture Carpathian mountain passes.
- 23. Germans take Saint-Mihiel salient.
- 8. Antwerp bombarded as Belgian troops evacuate city.
- 10. Antwerp falls to Germans.
- 13. Germans take Lille, France, in drive to English Channel ports.
- 16. Battle of Yser River opens as Germans attack Dixmude, Belgium.
- 19. First Battle of Ypres, Belgium, begins.
- 21. German offensive at Arras, France.
- 25. Germans fail in first attempt to take Warsaw.
- 27. Belgians end Battle of Yser River by opening dikes and flooding area.
- 3. Germans bombard Yarmouth, England. Allies bombard Dardanelles forts. Russia declares war on Ottoman Empire.
- 5. Britain and France declare war on Ottoman Empire.
- 7. Qingdao, China, falls to Japanese.
- 9. Emden destroyed by Australian cruiser Sydney.
- 10. Germans take Dixmude, Belgium.
- 17. Allies hold their lines as First Battle of Ypres ends.
- 8. De Wet’s rebellion suppressed. British navy victorious at Falkland Islands. German naval squadron destroyed.
- 12. Russians retreat from Kraków and Galicia.
- 15. Serbs defeat Austrians, driving them across Drina River.
- 25. British air raids on Brussels, Belgium, and Cuxhaven, Germany. Second German attack on Warsaw fails. First zeppelin raid on England.
- 27. Russians secure central passes through the Carpathian Mountains.